Virtual Learning for Elementary Students: Does it Really Work?
Elementary virtual learning is hard to conceptualize within our traditional understanding of ‘school’, but the digital transformation is happening
Virtual learning is NOT just a kid and a computer
– Highly interactive
– Synchronous sessions
– More time for other activities
– Intrinsic motivation vs compliance-based model of traditional learning
Great fit for some—but not all—students
– Child’s temperament/relationship with parent
– Need for structure?
– Availability of adult to be involved
– Access to/involvement in other social outlets?
Benefits of virtual
– Some kids can only handle so much social interaction
– Day can be more flexible, broken-up, and fluid
– Virtual courses taught by subject-specific courses instead of single teacher (more like high school) opportunity for more meaningful relationships with adults
– Easier access to targeted, personalized help